In the past few years, camping has become one of the most preferred adventure sports. People have shown a great interest in going on over night camps in the mountains, sea-shores, rural parts of the country and the outskirts of the cities. Camps can be made anywhere in the jungles, hilly terrains, villages or any other preferred locations. Basically, camping helps one relax, forget all about the daily hectic life and live in a different atmosphere for a few days. Camping in villages or rural border can help one learn about the culture, heritage, and lifestyle of the people in the village. Camping in jungles and in the mountains helps one keep connected with the nature and so does the camping near water bodies.
Camping is followed by trekking and hiking. It may or may not be possible to reach the camping destination using private or shared convince. Most of the times one has to trek down to the spot. It is understood that if you have to trek to your camping spot, you’ll have to carry everything that you require for camping on you own, that includes your sleeping bags. But there are also various camping facilities available where you do not have to do any of these. They are easy to reach and everything including the tents and bedding is provided to you.
There are trekkers who choose long and difficult routes. Most of the times, if they are unable to reach in some population, they choose to camp on the way itself. This can at times be dangerous too. Camping is followed by a lot of other activities that include volleyball, campfire, adventure sports, music, dance and parties. All this depends on the location that you choose to camp at.
There are a lot of things that one must keep in mind when planning for camping. The following safety tips can help you have a wonderful and better camp:
- Study the destination: Before you leave for camping, do a little home work. It is important to know the place well where you are putting up your camp. Know enough about the animals, weather, food options, population and plants.
- Store enough food and water: It is possible that due to uncertain conditions you may not be allowed to light fire and cook food. The best option in such situation is to carry enough food with you. You must always carry healthy food. Food rich in carbohydrates can help you keep going. It even is possible that there is not enough availability of fresh drinking water where you are camping. It is advisable to carry enough water for yourself. Also, while trekking wherever possible, refill your water bottle.
- Stay away from wild animals: While camping do not get involved in any animal killing. Do not disturb the wild life. It is important that you know about the kinds of animals found at the place. Stay awake during the nights, in turns possibly, to avoid any mishap.
- Carry everything important: Before you leave for camping make sure that you are carrying everything. A good way to not miss out anything important is to first make a list of everything. Make sure that you have a matchbox or lighter, enough warm clothes torch, extra pair of shoes, sunscreen, mosquito repellent, hand wash, lock and chain etc.
- Be careful with children: If you have children accompanying you, take good care of them. Always keep an eye on them. Do not let them ram alone around. Make sure they are safe.
- Beware of harmful plants: When you are trekking, avoid touching a plant that you do not know. In the bushes and the jungles there are many allergic plants.
- Carry First Aid: Not only for camping but for any outing, do not forget to carry your own first aid box. Keep a few bandages, prescribed medicines and a few others that you might need.
- Get vaccinated: It is recommended that when going for a camping, get a full body check-up done. If possible get yourself vaccinated. This would keep you safe from tetanus and a lot of other things.
- Inform somebody: Inform relatives or friends about your camping destination. Any change or extension of plan must also be informed. Keep in touch. Make sure that the children are well aware of the safety helplines.
- Expect the unexpected: Sudden changes in the weather, animal attack, insect bite, infections or illness are some of the possibilities that you might have to face. It is important that you are prepared in advance for them.
It is advised not to go out camping alone. Always have a companion with you. Ensure your and your companions safety. Make sure that nothing can ruin your leisure time. Plan in advance and be prepared well.